Frequently Asked Questions about Memory Care
Frequently Asked Questions about Memory Care at Concordia
At Concordia, we know the right questions yield the right answers in your search for memory care best suited for your friend or loved one. Our goal is to provide information that is accurate, informative and purposeful to help make your journey as uncomplicated and straightforward as possible. We’ve compiled a list of the most common questions we receive about memory care at our Concordia Life Care Community, along with their answers.
Q: What is memory care?
A: Memory care is a distinct type of support that is specifically designed to serve the needs of those with Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other forms of memory impairment. At Concordia, we believe that individuals with memory impairments can continue to lead a rich, fulfilling, and dignified life, and our programs allow everyone to thrive to the best of their abilities.
Q: What services are offered to memory care residents at Concordia?
A: Memory care services at Concordia are focused firmly on the individual. Our memory care services help create a safe, healthy and stimulating environment for those with memory impairments. Services include:
- Access to skilled nursing. Residents and family members have peace of mind knowing these services are available on-site if needed
- 24-hour supervised care: Care is offered in a customized environment where residents are safe and encouraged to live fully
- 24-hour Emergency response system
- Medication management: Memory, dementia and Alzheimer’s residents will never have to worry about coordinating their own medications; our trained staff safely handle all medications
- Three chef-prepared meals per day. Residents can enjoy a delicious and healthy menu prepared by our culinary staff that provides plenty of variety
- Weekly Housekeeping: Bed making and other services make memory care living as convenient as possible
- Personal laundry service: Residents can enjoy the convenience of personal laundry service throughout the week
Q: What amenities are offered to residents of memory care?
A: At Concordia, we’ve created a neighborhood designed to provide comfort and care for residents with memory impairments — offering amenities to create a warm and welcoming home-like environment.
- 2 sizes of residential accommodations: Memory Care Studio (view Floorplan) and Deluxe Studio (view Floorplan), each with a private bath
- Trained staff: Our staff is specifically trained and experienced in working with individuals with Alzheimer’s or other dementia; your loved ones are in caring and safe hands
- Activities focused on specific needs: We offer specialized activities and programs to help memory care residents thrive
- Common spaces: Our common spaces are designed to encourage socialization, which is known to help prevent or slow down the progression of dementia and Alzheimer’s as well as stave feelings of isolation and depression
- Enclosed courtyard: Residents experience the benefit of our beautifully-manicured outdoor space with raised garden beds while in a completely safe area
- Access to a full-service beauty salon/barbershop: Haircuts, styles, manicures and more are available at our on-campus salon
- Living and activities rooms: Residents can enjoy fellowship with other community members or just enjoy some relaxing alone time in our living and activity rooms
- Since we’re a continuing care retirement community, spouses or loved ones of residents receiving care can remain in their independent living or assisted living apartments only a short walk away, all under one roof, therefore ensuring a sense of togetherness at one residence
- Predictable monthly fees with no up-front entrance fee
Q: How does the memory care center address safety concerns?
A: Our memory care center is staffed with dedicated and attentive care providers 24-hours per day, 365 days per year. Through the use of discreet security systems, including a 24-hour emergency response system and an enclosed outdoor space, residents are able to wander freely throughout the memory care center, indoors or out. The secured outdoor space includes beautiful raised garden beds for residents’ enjoyment.
Q: What makes Concordia’s memory care different from other communities?
A: All the services provided in our memory care center— from dining, to nursing, to activities — are designed around the unique needs of the memory-impaired individual. By working closely with loved ones, we preserve the life story of every residents. We are focused on seamlessly integrating the past and the present to prevent loneliness, helplessness and boredom. Days are quietly structured to provide a sense of order. We strongly believe people with Alzheimer’s and other dementia deserve the opportunity to live to their fullest potential, and we’re here to help make that happen.
Q: Does Concordia offer short term stays?
A: Yes, we offer a Short-Term Vacation Stay program. Our professional and caring staff will be there for your loved one while you take time for needed vacations, business travel or other obligations that necessitate temporary Alzheimer’s and dementia care for a loved one with memory support needs. We offer fully furnished apartments with meals, social and care needs provided in a warm and caring environment. Contact us to learn more about our Short-Term Vacation Stay program.
Q: Is my loved one required to share an apartment with another memory care resident or are private residences available?
A: Our memory care center includes 16 spacious private residences that allows residents to surround themselves with pictures and other items of personal value as well as to give residents and their families the privacy they desire. There are two studio apartment floor plans to choose from: Memory Care Studio (view Floorplan) and Deluxe Studio (view Floorplan).
Q: How can I be involved with my loved ones care?
A: Individuals with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia cannot always articulate their needs and preferences. With help from family members, we can have a better understanding of who the resident is now, as well as who they were before their memory loss. We will then know everything our residents would share with us if they could – where they grew up, their past careers, favorite hobbies and major life events. With their families’ help, we will get to know our residents in the way they deserve.
Families will also take part in the daily care of our residents by helping us create personalized care plans. Family caregivers can share the important details of their loved one’s unique challenges with memory loss, as well as their personal routines, so their care is seamlessly transferred from home to our community. We will also invite family members to participate in daily life with their loved one, sharing in mealtimes or providing support during programming when they visit. We understand the needs of both residents and their families, so we will provide an environment where families can share life together.
Q: How do I know if Concordia Life Care Community is right for my loved one who has a memory impairment?
A: At Concordia Life Care Community, you’ll find a memory care center dedicated solely to supporting those with memory loss. Unlike other communities that offer memory support in a skilled nursing wing, our memory care center is designed to meet the specific needs of those living with memory loss and related cognitive impairments. From the layout of our secure community to the structure of our daily programming that promotes choice and celebrates accomplishments through familiar schedules and surroundings, every aspect of the community is created with memory care in mind.
To learn more about the mission, services and amenities at Concordia’s memory care center, please call Leah Marple at 405-720-7200 or click here to contact us.