Walking is undoubtedly one of the best exercises for seniors. It improves heart health by getting your blood flowing, strengthens muscles and joints while easing chronic pain and even boosts your mood. Now that summer is here, walking tours are a great way to get outdoors and enjoy being active around the Oklahoma City area. You can even consider designing your own walking tour to go at your perfect pace to avoid feeling rushed to see everything or getting tired out quickly. There are many amazing areas to explore in OKC where you can enjoy some beautiful scenery and discover the array of attractions in the area – some you may not even know about!
Oklahoma City Walking Tours – Where to Start
From the Bricktown area to the Oklahoma City Zoo and a variety of historic sites downtown, there are enough OKC attractions for everyone to find something to enjoy. Here are a few hot spots and locations to check out on your senior-friendly walking tour:
- Bricktown Canal and Water Taxi: The Bricktown Canal is a scenic and beautiful area to visit. Take a nice stroll along the side of the canal or hop on a water taxi for an even more memorable experience. While on the water taxi, get ready to learn more about the rich history of Oklahoma City. You might even be able to see some amazing murals or waterfalls that are located on the west side. You are also able to get off and on the water taxi at any stop and continue to explore the Bricktown area on foot.
- Bricktown Ballpark: Despite having its name changed a multitude of times, the Brick Town Ballpark, or otherwise dubbed “The Brick” is an Oklahoma City staple. Home to the Oklahoma City Dodgers, the ballpark is situated right by local restaurants and a beautiful river walk. Stop by on our tour of the city, enjoy a game and take in the beautiful architecture.
- Oklahoma City Museum of Art: Located in the downtown Arts District, the Oklahoma City Museum of Art offers a great collection of various art forms and one of the most impressive collections of Chihuly glass. In case you’re hungry after walking around the museum, there’s also a gourmet café inside that offers special events on the rooftop such as “Cocktails on the Skyline.” This can be a great pit-stop on your walking tour.
- The Myriad Botanical Gardens and Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory: Located near the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, this glorious space offers a natural space for all to enjoy and wander through. You’ll find a wide range of walking paths, a children’s garden, splash fountains, plus educational programs. The conservatory offers a chance to examine many different species of plants, palm trees, exotic plants, and even some exotic animals.
- The Oklahoma City Zoo: As the oldest zoo in the southwest, the Oklahoma City Zoo is home to some amazing attractions for people of all ages and is a much loved OKC attraction. You’ll get to walk through all the different areas to explore, such as the Butterfly Garden, the Cat Forest, Elephant Habitat and Aquatics and many more. Bring your grandkids along too, as they’ll be sure to enjoy viewing all the different kinds of animals and participating in the zoo activities.
- The Mantel Wine Bar and Bistro: After a full day of walking and exploring the many attractions Oklahoma City has to offer, you might be craving a tasty dinner to cap off your awesome day. The refined and quiet atmosphere of the Mantel Wine Bar and Bistro boasts an array of delicious meal options, and you can relax on the patio while listening to live music in the warmer months, too.
Vibrant Senior Living in OKC at Concordia
Concordia Life Care Community is a full-service senior living community in Oklahoma City. We believe in successful aging for the mind, body and soul, putting emphasis on wellness and healthy living. You’ll feel the difference the minute you walk in our door, becoming part of a tight-knit community full of your friends and neighbors. Contact us today and schedule a lunch and tour to learn how Concordia can be the perfect option for you.